Tax Sale Questions

Tax Sale Questions

Tax Sale Questions

{Click here to return to the main FAQ}


  • What is the tax sale?


    When a delinquent taxpayer fails to pay his/her property taxes on or after January 1st, the Revenue Commissioner must begin the process of preparing to sell the property to satisfy the taxes due.

    After all attempts to notify the property owner of the delinquent tax are exhausted, the property is then offered for sale at a Mobile County Revenue Commission public auction to the highest bidder.

    The property owner is required to pay the buyer the initial delinquent tax and cost plus any additional property tax the buyer has paid – up to the three year redemption period. The property owner is required to pay the buyer interest on the sale amount. The interest rate on tax sale property is 12% annually.

    After the three year redemption period, the owner of the property is no longer able to redeem his/her property through this office and must communicate with the buyer directly.

  • What happens if I don’t pay my taxes?


    Property tax is due each October 1 and is delinquent after December 31 of each year. All past due accounts receive a $5.00 penalty and begin accruing interest at a rate of 12% annually, compounded daily as of January 1 of each year.

    Alabama State Law requires that property owners with an unpaid tax account be notified by certified mail.

    Alabama State Tax Law require that all delinquent tax accounts are to be advertised in a local publication (newspaper)a total of two times.

    The cost of advertisement and certified mailings are added to the unpaid property tax accounts in addition to the citation fees, penalty and interest.

    All delinquent property tax accounts are subject to auction if left unpaid.

    Before a delinquent account can be paid, an accurate calculation of penalties and interest must be added to the base tax amount. To obtain a payment amount for a delinquent tax account, please contact our Collections Department at 251-574-8530.

  • My property was sold in the tax sale.


    Since the property has been auctioned, it must now be redeemed. As the property owner, you are given a period of three (3) years to redeem the property with this office. This is done through our Land Redemption Department.

    Since tax sale properties are charged daily interest, you may call or visit our Land Redemption Department to obtain a “pay-off” price based on what date you plan to redeem the property.

    You will be responsible to pay the buyer the initial delinquent tax and cost plus any additional property tax the buyer has paid during the three year redemption period. You are also required to pay the buyer interest on the sale amount. The interest rate on tax sale property is 12% annually compounded daily.

  • How can I redeem my property when it sells to an individual?
  • What form is required to redeem properties sold to an individual?
  • Can I purchase delinquent tax property from the state?

    When tax sale properties are not auctioned to individual bidders, the Tax Sale Certificate is transferred to the State of Alabama Department of Revenue, Property Tax Division in Montgomery. The property is available for purchase from the state by completing an application. Below are the rules and procedures which must be followed in order to purchase these delinquent properties.

    The Alabama Department of Revenue maintains a list of all properties available for purchase . You may download a copy of this list on their website: Choose Mobile from the list, the State updates the list once a week. Directions on how to read the transcript of tax delinquent properties is included on the second page and is located at

    The State maintains the same three year anniversary date from the date of the tax sale in which a property owner may redeem his/her property. During this three year time period, if an individual wishes to purchase a property from the states delinquent list, he/she will receive a “Sale Certificate” from the Revenue Commission of the county in which the property is located. If the three year anniversary date has passed, a “Tax Deed” will be issued by the State Department of Revenue. State issued “Tax Deeds” do not warrant a clear title to the property. The former owner, or any persons claiming through or under the former owner, has liberal and extensive rights to redeem and recover the property from the tax deed holder. It is advisable that the potential purchaser investigate every aspect of the property before making a purchase. The State of Alabama gives no legal, financial, or professional advice as it pertains to properties held by the state and recommends a competent attorney be consulted in any case where legal questions or concerns arise. The Property Tax Division will not be responsible for any action outside of the division’s control.

    Individuals, Companies, or any party affiliated with the applicant is limited to 20 active applications at any one time in the land sale system. Applicants or an affiliated party, who maintain the purchase of a minimum of 10% of properties in which a quote has been issued, may have their applications accepted and processed in a reasonable quantity in access of 20. Applicants or affiliated parties who make purchases but do not maintain the minimum purchase of 10% of the properties quoted, will be limited to the 20 active applications policy.  As the applicant or affiliated party receive notice that one or more of the properties applied for has become unavailable because of (redemption by property owner, or other reasons deemed acceptable by the Property Tax Division) they will be allowed to submit another application as replacement for those which have become unavailable.

    An applicant or affiliated party who makes NO PURCHASES after they have been issued forty consecutive price quotes will forfeit the privilege of having applications accepted or processed for a one year period. All improvements to your property should be reported to the Revenue Commissioner’s Office in a timely manner. This can be done by providing our office with a description and value of improvement added. You may report an improvement at any of our office locations. Improvements that are unreported may result in back charges and penalty.

  • Is there a list of properties sold to individuals who paid more than tax and cost?

    This excess fund data is not available in electronic format. This information can be gathered by reviewing the printed docket sheets located at 3925 Michael Blvd Suite G in Mobile Alabama.

caldwell seal

Contact Information